Fabric sofas are beautiful and comfortable too. But when it comes to cleaning them, the whole experience becomes a nightmare or seems so. As you know, sofas are prone to spills, and stains either from your kids or pets. And unless you cover them with beautiful covers, all these stains and spills will go into the fabric, which means you got to learn how to clean them. When doing so, of course, you want them to retain the lounge-worthy recognition.
Now, to ensure that you get it right, here are a few tips on how to properly clean them:
- Check the manufacturer’s instructions – before cleaning, you will need to check what the manufacturer says about cleaning it. Thereafter, you will need to attempt to get rid of the stains and freshen up its overall look.
- Follow the tags for cleaning questions – if there are no instructions from the manufacturer, then you can check the cushion to see if there is a cleaning tag that would help you know important facts such as whether the fabric is water-soluble or not. Remember, the tag includes sofa cover cleaning instructions, while others are for washing cushions. So, make sure that you read the right ones.
- Read the cleaning tag properly – there are four letters on the cleaning tag for the sofa. They include;
- W – Meaning clean the fabric using water
- S – Meaning that you shouldn’t use water to clean the fabric sofa. And that you should instead use a special solvent-based cleaner.
- WS – you can use water or solvent-based cleaner on the sofa
- X – vacuum the fabric to keep it tidy
- Follow the recommended cleaning methods – water may seem harmless, but the truth is, when you use water on the upholstery that specifically requires solvent-based cleaner, you will be in for a big surprise. I mean, you will get a lot of unwanted stains after cleaning. So, you better follow the specific instructions if you value your furniture as much as we believe you do.
- Focus on prevention – ‘prevention is better than cure,’ remember this saying? Well, it does apply when it comes to maintaining your upholstery. You can prevent heavy soiling especially when there is heavy traffic in the house during the summer. Remember that this is the time when people are likely to sit on the sofas in skimpy clothes which increases the chances of them being stained.
Now, to ensure that you get the best results, you can give our Burbank Home Cleaning team a call, as we have the know-how and how to clean fabric. We have been doing this for years!